Thursday, July 19, 2007

Techno and Identity

So its been a while. Life has been busy as well, though so i guess it's all a good thingy. For the past two weeks i have had class all day and everyday and my soul is slowly dripping out the toes of my shoes. Drawing is going well and for my portraiture class I just got an AMAZING assignment. I am supposed to draw a fictional character form a novel of my choosing, based on a single physical description. I haven't decided who to do yet. I was considering maybe the Count of Monte Cristo or Stan Gatz, but as i said, I have yet to decide.

My music is beginning to grow stale. I have a 2gb nano which is rather undersized and after a while hearing the same songs begins to tire you out. What I really want to listen to is just hours of trance and techno but alas, i have none of that music. The up-tempo thumping bass really just makes its way into your subconscious. It is really amazing that when you walk down the street listening to the stuff, you start walking in time, either slowing down or (usually) speeding up. I have become tired of music that requires an active listener. I usually listen when exhausted and it just doesn't make sense to me that it should take effort to enjoy.

I want to lose myself in simple, strong, beautiful repetition.
I want to lose myself in simple, strong, beautiful repetition.

Monks have that whole "OM" thing going for them. I want that peace. Life is too hectic and tiring.

I tried to upload my images but (alas, wailly wailly) my connection is short-bus slow and I am unable.

In recent days I got an assignment to make a Budweiser add in my own personal style. I froze. My style? What the fuck is my style? I mean everything I do seems to be allover the fucking place. I grow bored of working in a 'style.' Now coming to this realization begged another question, "Am I going to be an inconsistent mess for the rest of my life? Am I merely an imitator, incapable of developing anything substantial and independent? If so, is there anything I can do about it?" Anyhow. I decided that, no I was not an imitator so there.

I have identified several trends that exprese themselves repeatedly in my work, although not in all of it all the time. They are:

- Use of solid blocks of color to give form and shadow etc.
- A preponderance of black in most images.
- A certain 'unfinished' or 'unpolished' quality to all work.
- Vitality and violence of line.
- Sharp corners
- Use of color sparingly and for effect
- Preference for media which give rich blacks.
- A tendency to go 'too' dark.
- Blending the line between shape and line. (no pun intended)
- Representational

That was what I figured out about my work.

Others that are often but less common:
- A love of unnecessary and decorative patterns.
- Morbid sense of humor.
- Love of bad visual puns.
- Flatness of image

Ways that i misrepresent people:
- Noses too long.
- Eyebrows too dark.
- Cheekbones too prominent and high.
- Lips, just plain weird.
- Small chins.
- Overly square jaws.
- Eyes, over drawn, making them look wrinkely and old.

Lists to make:
A list of my favorite colors
A list of my favorite artists
A list on the reasons that making lists about lists is absurd.
A list of the top 5 video games of all time
A list of the top 5 things I need to stop doing (including playing video games).

3 comments:

Shadhavar said...

Another thing to add to your 'list of things that show up repeatedly in my art'

- Lack of color/vibrance
- Childish fascination with guns
- Generally bad sense of humor

Muahhaha

Yeah I bet you're wondering who the hell this is

Maybe not

Shadhavar said...

I've forgotten what that means

does it mean a small, harmless yet annoying insect?

No wait, that's 'gnat'

oh yeah

it means 'VJJ'

Bahahahaha

T.S. Tang said...

-Dude, earthtones. Earthtones man.
-Yes on the darkness; much angular blacks.

Also, if you'r feeling up to electronica I have a guilty pleasure to offer, one that I hide in the dark recesses of my ipod. Try Aphex Twins. OTry 'Windowlicker'. I walked down Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley, CA listening to that stuff and it totally made sense.

Peace?